Tuesday 12 January 2021

The Last Kingdom

 

The Last Kingdom

By Bernard Cornwell

 


 I was really hoping that I could hold off from watching the show until after I had finished reading the books, but I caved in between book 13 and book 14. I was a little nervous - would the show follow the book, or would it change the plot, and therefore change the characters?

Of course, there is always a discrepancy between the book and the television adaptation, but I was actually pleasantly surprised by the television show. I thought Alexander Dreymon was the perfect Uhtred, and he really did the characters justice. Likewise, I thought the historical setting was very convincing.

I will always prefer the books because that is where I discovered Uhtred, but I am really glad it was adapted to television because I thought Cornwell really deserved it. His writing is incredible and has brought so much pleasure to so many people. 

Like with Vikings, you do need to stick with the first couple of episodes, but in some sense, and I cannot believe I am even saying it, The Last Kingdom works so well as a television show that it could topple Vikings from the pedestal I have placed it upon. Ragnar Lothbrok does not hold a candle to Uhtred!





No comments:

Post a Comment

✧ Book in the Spotlight ✧ A Splendid Defiance by Stella Riley, audiobook performed by Alex Wyndham

A Splendid Defiance By Stella Riley  Audiobook performed by Alex Wyndham Publication Date: December 6th, 2012 Publisher:  Stella Riley Page ...