Thursday 18 March 2021

Review - The Secrets of Saffron Hall by Clare Marchant

 

The Secrets of Saffron Hall

 By Clare Marchant

 

Two women. Five centuries apart.
One life-changing secret about to be unearthed…

1538
New bride Eleanor impresses her husband by growing saffron, a spice more valuable than gold. His reputation in Henry VIII’s court soars – but fame and fortune come at a price, for the king’s favour will not last forever…

2019
When Amber discovers an ancient book in her grandfather’s home at Saffron Hall, the contents reveal a dark secret from the past. As she investigates, so unravels a forgotten tragic story and a truth that lies much closer to home than she could have imagined…

Review:

Hands up, this is not the usual genre that I read, but a dear friend of mine read this book and implored me to read it. I did so with a small amount of trepidation the Tudor era is not my go to era in history because I think the Tudors were a bunch of pretentious well, let’s leave it there. Anyway, I promised my friend that I would read this book, and so I did.

What I wasn’t expecting was to enjoy it as much as I did!

This novel really grabbed my attention from the opening and continued to hold it throughout the story. The duel timelines worked really well, and I never felt jarred or disjointed from the novel. Despite this period not being my thing, I very much enjoyed it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

✧ Book in the Spotlight ✧ A Splendid Defiance by Stella Riley, audiobook performed by Alex Wyndham

A Splendid Defiance By Stella Riley  Audiobook performed by Alex Wyndham Publication Date: December 6th, 2012 Publisher:  Stella Riley Page ...