Monday 7 February 2022

Book Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐ The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory

 

The second book in Philippa's stunning new series, The Cousins' War, brings to life the story of Margaret Beaufort, a shadowy and mysterious character in the first book of the series - The White Queen - but who now takes centre stage in the bitter struggle of The War of the Roses.

The Red Queen tells the story of the child-bride of Edmund Tudor, who, although widowed in her early teens, uses her determination of character and wily plotting to infiltrate the house of York under the guise of loyal friend and servant, undermine the support for Richard III and ultimately ensure that her only son, Henry Tudor, triumphs as King of England. Through collaboration with the dowager Queen Elizabeth Woodville, Margaret agrees a betrothal between Henry and Elizabeth's daughter, thereby uniting the families and resolving the Cousins War once and for all by founding of the Tudor dynasty.

 

Review

I have never read a Philippa Gregory novel before, nor had I read the first book in the series, but I was assured by a friend of a friend that this novel stands alone, and as I wanted to read a novel about Margaret Beaufort I dived straight in.


I wasn't too sure if I was meant to like Margaret or not. Her anxiety, his OCD tendencies was quite painful to read about, and as was her being a child bride. And yet, she comes across as a very determined woman who will lie and scheme to get what she wants.

I thought this was a good read, but it didn't blow me away as I thought it would.

 

To find out more about  Philippa Gregory and her books head over to her website https://www.philippagregory.com

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

✧ Book in the Spotlight ✧ A Rose In The Blitz by Ann Bennett

A Rose In The Blitz By Ann Bennett Publication Date: 29th March 2024 Publisher: Andaman Press Page Length: 270  Genre: Historical Fiction / ...