Thursday 23 July 2020

Review - Daughter of War (The Knights Templar Book 1) by S.J.A. Turney

 

Daughter of War 

(The Knights Templar Book 1) 

By S.J.A. Turney

 

Europe is aflame. On the Iberian Peninsula the wars of the Reconquista rage across Aragon and Castile. Once again, the Moors are gaining the upper hand. Christendom is divided.

Amidst the chaos is a young knight: Arnau of Vallbona. After his Lord is killed in an act of treachery, Arnau pledges to look after his daughter, whose life is now at risk. But in protecting her Arnau will face terrible challenges, and enter a world of Templars, steely knights and visceral combat he could never have imagined.

She in turn will find a new destiny with the Knights as a daughter of war… Can she survive? And can Arnau find his destiny?

Review:

I was really looking forward to reading this book. Hands up, I know very little about The Knight’s Templar, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to find out something, anything, about it. I am a firm believer in the power of historical fiction and therefore I allowed myself to be taken back in time and swept away to a foreign world where the rules were very different to what we know today.

Instead of being set in the Holy Land, this novel is set in Spain during the wars of reconquest. Berenguer of Santa Coloma is killed on the battlefield, leaving behind his daughter, Titborga - his heir. This story was really wonderful plotted, and it instantly drew me in. Although I may be ignorant of the era, this did not prove to be a problem for Turney is a master storyteller and I was swept along by his majestic writing. 

This novel captured my attention and complete me to read on. This is the first novel I have read by Turney, but it will certainly not be the last.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

✧ Book in the Spotlight ✧ A Rose In The Blitz by Ann Bennett

A Rose In The Blitz By Ann Bennett Publication Date: 29th March 2024 Publisher: Andaman Press Page Length: 270  Genre: Historical Fiction / ...