Wednesday 12 August 2020

Review - The Last Kingdom (Saxon Tales Book 1) by Bernard Cornwell

The Last Kingdom

(Saxon Tales Book 1)

By Bernard Cornwell 

A hero will be forged from this broken land.

In a land torn apart by conflict, an orphan boy has come of age. Raised by the Vikings, deadly enemies of his own Saxon people, Uhtred is a fierce and skilled warrior who kneels to no-one.

Alfred – Saxon, king, man of god – fights to hold the throne of the only land still resisting the pagan northerners.

Uhtred and Alfred’s fates are tangled, soaked in blood and blackened by the flames of war. Together they will change history.

Review:  

I did not just read this book; I experienced it. I know Bernard Cornwell is the historical fiction author to read, but I have never read any of his books, so his style of writing was a first for me. But oh my, this novel was absolutely fabulous.

Cornwell really knows how to hook a reader and to grab their attention. The historical detailing is amazing and the characters scream realism. Uhtred was a character that I really connected with, and his relationship with Alfred is really interesting.

I am really looking forward to reading more books in this series.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

✧ Book in the Spotlight ✧ A Rose In The Blitz by Ann Bennett

A Rose In The Blitz By Ann Bennett Publication Date: 29th March 2024 Publisher: Andaman Press Page Length: 270  Genre: Historical Fiction / ...